Monday, August 27, 2007

Biblical Holy-Days

Many Christians know nothing about Biblical Holydays. Paul wrote to the Gentile believers in Colossians 2:16-17 that the holidays "are a shadow of things to come." Each of the spring holidays is a picture of Christs (Yeshua) first coming. Jesus(Yeshua) was sacrificed for our sins on Passover, buried on Unleavened Bread, and arose on Firstfruits. The fall holidays are a picture of His second coming and the beginning of the Messianic reign.

The Festivals of God are a blueprint for the plan of God. When we look at the spring festivals, we can look back at the first century and see how the prophetic elements of those festivals were full filled. We can see how the plan of God was carried out in perfection. The Biblical Holidays were instituted by God (all but Hanukkah and Purim) as an integral part of the divine worship system of the church (Old and New Testament) They are not a matter of salvation or approval before God, They are, as He intended, a remembrance and memorial in honor of what God has done for His people.

But what about this verse? "Ye observe days, and months, and times, and years. I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labor in vain" (Gal. 4:10-11).

Here is a classic example of faulty interpretation of scripture. This reference has nothing to do with Biblical memorial days. Paul's statements to the Galatians is concerning their returning to former pagan or heathen practices. Clearly he is not speaking of Biblical celebrations, which is borne out in the very structure of the letter itself. Notice that this was something they were re instituting which they had been practicing when they worshipped false gods (see verse nine). The Galatians had never celebrated Biblical holy days, because they were Gentiles.

There is a revival in the land! Many are turning away from man-conceived concepts of worship to Biblical patterns. The motive for celebrating the holidays should be as God originally intended; a memorial, a remembrance and honor for what He has done. we don't need to be concerned with ancient ritualism customs, but we should focus on the basic principle of the holidays' prophetic and spiritual meanings as is revealed under the New Covenant (Rom. 1:6)

So on a personal note, what we do here is read what The Father has written and filter that through the culture of the times that it was written and then to our best ability, celebrate His Mercies, His Promises, His Grace, His Love, His Word; and sit in awe of His Wonders. We do recite the Psalm daily, and we as a family and as individuals (even the small children) reflect and ask The Father to show us our trespasses and ask His forgiveness, and ask Him to help us to overcome them and to make us a light that shines and can not be hidden. It is a very personal time to devote to our Father and a time to pull away from ourselves. The Lord reveals more to us each year as we walk through the holidays.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your response at Musings of a Mountain Mama, Audrey. Yes...thank you for clearing up much that perhaps, in her post, got lost in the way of how honoring the festivals of the Lord was to honour Him. But...Stephanie never clarified that it WASN'T a salvation issue. That is what disturbed me greatly. My dear friends (the messianic pastor and his wife) stated much of what you have here. And they didn't use inflammatory remarks, as I have found on the other blog. I have a 'hebrew' bible and really am looking forward to learning more. My husband, a gentile believer, feels no burden at this time for the deeper walk, as I call it, to understanding honoring God through His festivals. However, I believe there is MORE for the gentile to behold. I just did not care for Stephanie's relating of it. Still don't. I'll be staying away from her blog for now. I'm not close minded. I cannot abide the terms Stephanie uses to describe her 'revelations'. They are awful.

Mrs. K

Anonymous said...

Candy posted per my request and others. I am still thankful for your way of explaining...but am thrilled for the confirmation to my heart for the walk God has me on with my husband.

Audrey said...

Mrs K I wanted to let you know that you are not alone!!!

My walk down this "old path" is one that I take alone, with my children by my side. I decided long ago that I would not throw this in my dh face and stomp and yell blasphemy. The Father is doing and will do a mighty work in my dh. I believe this.

So I study and I teach my children and we wait for the day hubby walks along side us. He is a believer, (by the way no one who is born again, is a gentile, we are All Israel)

I told The Father I would walk quietly and meekly and wait on my husband and that is what I will faithfully do. I may still be waiting at a ripe old age (I hope not) It is very hard to want to celebrate in these "deeper" ways and not be able to, as to not offend or step on the toes of dh, but I do it.

The Lord Almighty is just that, MIGHTY and I trust Him with all things.

Blessings and Shalom to you Mrs K.

Oh that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Duet 5:29