Monday, April 21, 2008

Garden Woes

(not my garden...but inspirational indeed!)


How one ever survived before the advent of grocery stores is a real mystery to me. As I strolled outside this morning to look at the bountiful harvest a growin, I see that Maverick (the dog I will pay someone to take) had made a bed in my lettuce box. Its a big plastic coy pond that I turned into a planter for my lettuce because I naively thought it would be high enough off the ground that chickens would stay out of it, and they do....but apparently it makes a great dog bed. So much for all my little lettuce sprouts. I replanted them covered it with chicken wire and am hoping for the best.




Not all is lost...I think to myself. At least the main garden is fenced. I walk off into that direction and hoist my leg over the fence, which sends shock waves up and down my back....but I press on because to see the garden growing will bring me much happiness. I glance down with joy as I see that the beans and squash are starting to pop through the ground, I was worried that they weren't going to come up as it has been over a week sense I planted them. Walking along I smile at progress and hard work paying off.




Blinking a few times just thinking that my eyes haven't focused in just yet, I wonder where are my tomato plants? WHERE ARE MY TOMATO PLANTS!!!!???? The first 8 in the row are gone...or more accurately had their leaves plucked off all the way down to the ground. It happened between yesterday midday and this morning. Last I checked the smaller kids couldn't get over the fence without help and the older ones know better. I'll never know who the real perpetrator was. All I know is that its a good thing that the grocery store is around the corner. Sigh

1 comment:

Mothertomanyblessings said...

Awww sorry about your tomatoes! Animals are so much fun aren't they?

Oh that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Duet 5:29