Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Prairie Dress




This is the dress that is under the Penafore. Very flowing. This dress is one that you can spin around in a circle and make a big "poof", definately a dress suitable for any princess! It is a bit big on my petite little girl. I took the dress from a size 2 down to about a size 18 months and she still has plenty of room to grow, not to mention that I can let the bottom out a good three inches as she gets taller, (if she ever gets taller LOL)

So what do you think? I love it, and will be placing it in the store as a custom order only, as it takes much time and material to complete.

*********************************************************************
Tiany, to answer your question, yes my boys tend to tease each other quite a bit. As they get older it even increases because they begin to add in practical jokes and pranks. I was just talking to Rob last night saying that the oldest two really are becoming emotional about things. When they are younger they cry for a few minutes and then its done. When they start hitting puberty (oh, I cant believe I am saying that) their emotions seem to be hightened and the teasing seems to be effecting them more, as if they take it more to heart than when they were little (so keep that in mind, now would be the time to make changes if you think you need to)

Do I think it is normal for boys to tease? To a degree! Rob and I tease each other all the time, but we know its done in jest. We NEVER do it to hurt one another, but unfortunately with kids its an easy "getting back at you" tacktic, when they are mad at each other. So having said all that we have rules about teasing and ruff housing, because around here thats a huge part of being a boy as well.

Heres what we do, with teasing one another it is unexceptable when someones feelings could be hurt, or do get hurt. Then it is stopped and followed by an appology (I am seeing though that the older ones when their feelings have been hurt, tend to hold on to the anger a bit longer, and an appology does not always resolve the hurt)

No teasing in the form of harmful name calling, this one is tricky because its fun to call each other silly names, I do it with the kids all the time (example: silly pickle, goof ball, ect) they know I'm kidding, but there again they may use it to get back at each other when upset.

With ruff housing, no punching, kicking or biting ect, just simple wrestling, and if it gets heated it is stopped.

As I read over what I have written, I think to myself surly it would just be easier and make more sense to stop all the teasing and ruff housing all together, and perhaps that is the case in some homes. In ours though I think there are life lessons (social lessons) to be learned within the safety of our own home and family.............................

.....................I wish you could have been a fly on the wall for the past 15 minutes, I decided to call my oldest two (9.5, 11) down to ask them about teasing and brotherdom and their take on it all. I wish I had a way to tape it and put it on here for you but lets just say they were very candid. It boils down to that its fun when its fun and is vengful when it is useful. I asked them if it would be possible to stop it all together in a family, my oldest said "ya, if you are an only child" LOL, the conversation ended with them wrestling on the couch and Devon pushing Jordans head into the couch saying "smell Franky" (Franky is an odiferous dog and thats the couch he sleeps on ;-)

I laughed as I saw them loving each other in their boyish physical way. Totaly enjoying each other as they wrestled around. You know I have to say that if they are being raised in a home with loving parents who teach them right from wrong and love them, they will be fine. Keep it safe and address it when its out of hand. They will be great young men!

And when you just have heard enough send them out to do something physical, jump on the trampoline, run relay races ect. Hope that helps some.

Boys are so awesome!!!

2 comments:

rcsnickers said...

Beautiful as usual! You really do a great job!

About boys: I remember my Dad and brothers always wrestling! Something in their genes that make them to it. Never hurtful or down right mean just plain boy fun! They still did it as they were older. Even Daniel and his brothers still wrestle and the house shakes when they slam each other! My boys are just now starting to wrestle. Caleb not so much. He tends to get hurt and cry mainly because he is smaller! I think your standards/rules are good! Let them have fun but not to the point of hurting each other in feelings or physical. Or breaking something in the house!

Letisha

Anonymous said...

Audrey,
Thank you so much for posting your thoughts on the teasing, it helped a great deal! I have a feeling I will be coming to you often throughout the years if thats ok. LOL You have been there and understand, I think we have similar households as well. I love having boys they are a hoot but there are times when I am clueless and wonder if we are normal LOL

One way or another I will have me a girl someday and I will have to custom order that dress! It is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen!!! You are so talented!

Have a wonderful time in Shreveport, wish I could come see you! :-(

Thanks again!
Tiany

Oh that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Duet 5:29