Tuesday, August 22, 2006

How dependent are you??

If you have read the bible or even are remotely familiar with what's contained in it, then you know that hard times will fall on this world and many will suffer. What do you think that will look like? I'm not sure nor can anyone determine how things will unfold.
Not even the Son knows only the Father

We can make a few guesses as to the things that are likely. Perhaps we will no longer have electricity. Maybe no running water. Imagine your home without those two factors. We have only become dependent on them in these last 60-70 years. Would you be prepared if you were without them, even for a few weeks? What about food? Do you have enough non perishables put away to be able to provide your family with sustenance for even a few weeks?

Just to set the record straight I am not a hardcore survivalist. In fact my dh and I scoffed at the Y2K pandemonium. We just weren't convinced that all would collapse just because it was the year 2000. BUT even though we don't know the future and what it holds, should we be so dependent on the luxuries of modern day society. I will let you in on something that most people know about me. If I could move to Amish Country I would in a heart beat. The freedom of living off the grid is so appalling to me and always has been. But for now I am here. I began thinking about my family and how we would "make it through" the "hard times" when they come. I realized we were not prepared at all!

I am not rushing out and stock piling supplies, here is what I decided to do. Instead of putting 10 dollars in my Suburban everyweek...to get me through until the next week, I decided to fill it up (yes this was an expensive endeavor about $90) then every week top it off. This way I will not have to sit in a long line at gas stations should an emergency occur.

Next and most important WATER! Everytime I visit Walmart (no matter what for) I pick up some water. They have a box of 3 gallons for 1.98, very inexpensive. I don't have tons of water yet, but slowly I will build a reliable source of water for my children in case we ever are in need. I am also picking up a few things every shopping trip, that amount to about 15$ extra. Things like beans, rice, pasta, canned goods, dried milk, oil and the like. I only purchase what 15$ will get me during each weekly shopping trip. Do we have six months worth of food saved up. No, it will be a while, but I am on my way.

A few other things to think about if you have small children is do you have a cloth diaper stash in case you are unable to buy diapers? Stock up on body soap and peroxide or rubbing alcohol. Buy a tube of 99cent toothpaste at walmart every shopping trip and put it away. I always buy the cheapest soap like ivory for stocking up. I don't think the brand will matter much to us in an emergency situation.

Many people are in denial that we live in an artificial infrastructure that can easily crumble. We should not live in fear or constant thought about it, but at the very least (especially those of us with children who we must provide for) we should prepare in some way or another, and trust in The Lord to keep us safe and in His will!

I encourage you to think about the small steps you can start taking to care for your family in a time of uncertainty.

2 comments:

rcsnickers said...

oh I so agree with you! I too would live among the Amish. We actually plan to build an underground home -- more efficient and use solar panels for electricity -- go completely offf the grid!

No matter the times, it is just wise to stock up when you can instead of being caught off guard!

letisha

GINA said...

EVEN THOUGH I DONT STOCK UP WE ALREADY LIVE OFF OF THE LAND. WE EAT A LOT OF WILD GAME AND HAVE A SMALL GARDEN NOT TO METION I WAS BROUGHT UP WHERE IT WAS A WAY OF LIFE FOR US. ONE THING TOO IT HELPS TO KEEP ON HAND ARE OIL LAMPS AND KEROSENE HEATERS. I COLLECT ANYTHING OLD SO I ALREADY HAVE OLD IRON BEAN POTS AND DUTCH OVENS FOR USE OVER AN OPEN FIRE.WE ARE ALSO SPOILED THAT WE GET OUR WATER FROM A NATURAL UNDERGROUND SPRING.

Oh that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Duet 5:29