I thought it would be fun for all the moms who have been blessed with many boys or only boys (so far) to give their tips or joys of raising boys.
I was 19 when I had my first son. I had wanted a girl from the time I was a girl. It was just what I thought I needed. Well my dh and I were blessed with our first precious little boy in Nov of 95. Then we proceeded to here those words 4 more times “It’s a BOY” By the time I was 28 I had been blessed with 5 lovely, perfect, healthy baby boys! What a blessing. I had succumbed to being a mom to sons. In fact when any one asked do you want a girl I would say “nope not really” I love my boys. Then we became pregnant with # 6 and I just assumed like all the rest that we were having another boy. On June 4th the shock of my life occurred as I looked down at my precious baby who happened to be missing a very important part of the boy anatomy. I could not believe my eyes. It was indeed a girl! I was in shock for days as I glanced at her in awe. I giggled every time I changed her diaper. And went pink crazy. Do I love my daughter? You bet! Would I want 5 daughters? I’ll have to think on that one! LOL. She is a cutie, but a different kind of creature than all my boys.
So what about boys do I love so much? They are care free. Running and jumping, climbing, inventing. They get over things fast and move on. Forgiving, loving. They don’t care what they ware, very low maintenance. They catch bugs for me in the house. They carry the groceries in. They are learning to be great husbands. They one day will be great men who in turn will have wives and children.
What are some tips I have on raising boys?
1) Well the first and foremost is make sure you have tile in your bathroom around the toilet as well as up the walls behind it. We decided when we remodel the boys bathroom we are going to put in a urinal. Not sure if this will help with the messes, but its worth a try!
2) Give them lots of trash to play with. LOL Not like normal trash…you know boxes and empty plastic containers from the kitchen. Allow them to take apart old electronics when they brake. My boys make so much out of what I call “trash”.
3) Boys need space to run around and in our house this includes inside as well. We have a large circle path in our house around all the rooms, that they are aloud to run around when given permission in a structured way. We take early morning trips to the park and spend as much time as possible outside.
4) Give them one task at a time to do, don’t expect multitasking. That was a gift given from The Lord to mothers alone. LOL
5) Be gentle, loving, speak kindly, lift them up to the Lord on a daily basis that he would strengthen them and make them the men He needs them to be.
So share your boy-joys and tips with us!