Friday, April 14, 2006

Getting Dirty

We love to garden...or maybe its I love to garden. So we spent Friday cleaning out the old and planting the new. I love being able to walk out in the backyard and pick a few pieces of lettuce for my sandwich, or a pepper for dinner. There is such a freedom in it. As well as knowing where it came from. Have you ever thought about that, how trusting we are to continually eat food that we have no idea where it has come from.

The boys helped, they do love the digging in the dirt part of it. The dog jumped right up there and started digging to, I think he was making restitution for all the messes he has been making lately...although it did not mean he was done making messes.

We planted bell peppers and tomatoes (all kinds) and we still have the squash to get into the ground. I need about 4 more raised beds to have all the things I want in my garden. Like corn and beans and okra and onions and sweet potatoes and on and on. I probably could plant half of our yard and still not have enough room. It must have been quite a feat a hundred years ago to grow a garden for a large family and have enough to can for winter. How privileged we are these days!


No comments:

Oh that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever! Duet 5:29